Nothing pleases me more than finding the just-right gift for the important people in my life. I love scrolling through Etsy, wandering through boutiques, and frantically Googling "gifts for runners" and then feeling that "aha" moment when you know I've found just the thing. Of course, I often end up finding a few perfect gifts for myself along the way...but that's beside the point.
The point is, finding the perfect gift takes thought. And finding the perfect gift year after year for somebody as important as your mom or your wife or your sister or best friend can be even more challenging. And then once you become known as a thoughtful gifter...you'll feel the pressure even more. But you'll press on, refusing to take the easy way out by buying a gift card.
So as the next birthday, anniversary, or holiday approaches and you begin the search for the next great gift, consider this: A tarot reading.
For those of you less familiar with tarot cards and tarot readings, here's a quick 101 rundown. A tarot deck is made up of 72, beautifully illustrated cards. Each card has a specific and nuanced meaning, from abundance to love, angst to deception, betrayal to faith and everything in between. A skilled tarot reader understands the history and tradition behind these often centuries-old illustrations and symbols, but even a novice can look at the picture and get a sense for what is being conveyed.
Most people familiar tarot cards are aware that they're typically used for fortune telling or divination. You might go to a psychic and have your cards read, or trust in your own intuition and read them for yourself. But they're not just for telling the future. They're also great tools for introspection and journaling, too.
When you get a tarot reading, you will ask the medium a specific question or tell them you'd interested in exploring something like love, or career, or that novel you've been working on for a decade. Then, you or the medium will lay the cards down in a specific design. This is called a tarot spread. Each spot in the spread has its own purpose, and the way the cards fall will give meaning to that purpose. From that meaning, you get your reading. And, hopefully, some answers.
Here Are 5 Reasons Why Tarot Readings Make Great Gifts
1. It's a unique gift. Giving the gift of a tarot reading is not something that happens every day. It's something special for somebody special to you. You can almost think of a tarot reading as a glimpse of the future, or a half hour our hour for your loved one to spend thinking about their future wants, dreams, and desires. In our busy day, that is a beautiful gift to give someone!
2. It's an unexpected gift. This is the kind of gift that is the definition of "surprise and delight." Half the fun is in explaining it to your loved one, too, and watching their face morph from polite confusion to intrigue to excitement.
3. It's a one-of-a-kind gift. Every tarot reading is custom done and just for the recipient. Nobody else out there will have the same reading or get the same meaning from the messages they receive. Part of this is because there are so many cards that will be mixed and matched in different ways depending on the shuffle of the deck. But the other part is because everyone comes to the table searching for something different, in a different mood, or in a different place in life.
4. It's a conversation starter. This will be the kind of gift you and your loved one can talk about again and again, whether it's strategizing about what to ask at their reading, debriefing right after their appointment, or checking in periodically to see if anything predicted has fallen into place. It's also a fun experience for your loved one to talk about with other people in their life, too. So really, it's the gift that keeps on giving.
5. It's an easy gift to give. Unless you yourself are giving the tarot reading, there isn't much effort you have to put into this gift! Simply find a tarot reader (there are a ton online, me included) and purchase a reading as a gift! There are a few different approaches a tarot reader might take, from a digital reading to a recorded reading to a live Zoom reading, or even in person if you find somebody local.
6. A Bonus Reason? You don't have to pay for shipping, worry about your gift getting there on time, and stress about sustainability! No need to worry about expediting shipping, worrying about supply chain, or any of that logistical stuff that can make sending gifts a bummer.
So there you have it, five reasons (plus a bonus reason!) for why tarot readings make great gifts. And if you're anything like me, it might also make a unique, one-of-a-kind gift for yourself.